Learn to sail with us
Here at RWYC we offer two types of courses further details can be found at the following links
Youth Sailing Club these sailing sessions run from April to September during term time and these are held on for 2 hours Fridays at 4.30pm and Saturdays at 10.00am.
Junior Training each course consists of a 3 hour session each weekday in the morning or afternoon over the 5 days.
Training is from RYA-approved Instructors and may include:
- Safety on and off the water
- Theory of sailing
- Roles of the helm and the crew
- Knot tying and rope work
- How to rig and launch a dinghy
- Setting off and returning to a jetty
- Sailing on all points of sail
- Capsize practice
- Sailing single and double handed
- Training-based games and physical fitness activities
- Racing basics for more advanced sailors
Changing facilities with hot showers are provided.
We provide buoyancy aids, and your child is much better wearing a wet suit (the club does have a few spares). A light windproof jacket or spray top is also useful to keep warm. The water in the early part of the year is at its coldest. Appropriate footwear is needed to wear on the water, and bring a towel.