RWYC has a very active racing dinghy fleet and runs races for dinghy members on Monday evenings, Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons during the season. The Sailing Programme gives the dates and times of our races.
We are keen to see more members racing and we can offer help and advice as well as training through the adult and youth squads. Members can also use one of the club dinghies (RS Terra, Laser Pico, Laser Bahia) for RWYC races if they don’t have their own boat. Club boat use policy
Dinghy racing comprises both Handicap racing under a modified PY rating and fleet racing for GP14 class dinghies.
Boats racing in the Handicap fleet in 2018 included: RS100, Phantom, Solo, Devoti D-One, Devoti D-Zero, RS400, Hadron H2, Blaze. RS Vareo, RS600, Laser Vago, Laser, and Streaker.
The GP14 fleet has a long tradition of racing at RWYC and many of our GP14 owners will say that it is a perfect 2-person dinghy for the lake. We would love to see more GP14s out racing and we are planning volunteer-led coaching sessions for GP14 members during the season – details will be posted on the website. Over the years, RWYC has hosted many GP14 Association Open Events and has competed annually in the Southport 24 Hour Race.
General dinghy sailing
RWYC members are welcome to sail their own boats from the Club at any time and with the advantage of being able to sail in both the north (upper) and south (lower) of the lake, you’re unlikely to get bored. RWYC has many dinghy members who chose to participate in general sailing in a wide variety of traditional and modern boats. Conditions on the lake can change rapidly so if you are a novice sailor or just fancy a bit of company we advise that you ‘buddy sail’ with another member. The Dinghy Fleet Secretary runs a WhatsApp group which is an ideal way to find out if anyone is planning to sail.
RWYC facilities for dinghy members
- Heated changing rooms, hot showers, and lockers
- Dedicated jetties and beach for dinghy launching
- Dinghy park with secure gate
- Tractor for launching larger traditional boats (trained drivers only)
- Racing 3 times a week with escort boat cover
- Training via Adult and Youth Squads plus volunteer led coaching
- Bar open 6 days-a-week in the season and weekends during winter
- Food available after dinghy racing on Mondays (sandwiches) and Thursdays (dinghy supper) and lunches before racing on Saturday and Sunday
- Regular social events throughout the year
If you would like to find out more about dinghy sailing at RWYC, please contact us using this form