Flying Fifteen Owners Meeting

Flying Fifteen Owners Meeting

Minutes of meeting held at RWYC, Sunday 16 Sept 2018, 1030am

Mr S McVey Commodore
Mrs C Houlihan Vice Commodore
Mr P Gooch Hon Sailing secretary
Ms R Hodgson Hon Secretary
Mr D Heron (Class Secretary), Mr J Taylor, Ms A Bishop, Mr A Cowley, Mr J Atkinson Mr M
Day, Mr N Tullett, Mr M Thompson, Mr P Snewin

1. Apologies for absence
Received from, Mr K Jamieson (Class Captain), Mr P Langley, Mr J Pollard, Ms E
Moreton, J and R Walter

2. Previous Minutes
15 Sept 2017 accepted as a true record. Proposed J Taylor, seconded C Houlihan

3. Matters Arising from Previous Minutes

4. Election of Officers
Class Captain; Mr K Jamieson has tendered his resignation as Fleet Captain, there was a
need for a new Fleet Captain. Mr D Heron had offered to carry out the role providing
he had the support of the fleet. There were no other nominees.
Mr D Heron was therefore proposed as Fleet Captain by Nigel Tullett, seconded by Phil
Snewin and offered his thanks to the fleet, and to the outgoing Fleet Captain for all of
his hard work and encouragement.
There was now a need for a new Fleet secretary. Adam Cowley was proposed by Claire
Houlihan, seconded by Miles Thompson.

5. Sailing Programme, 2019
• P Gooch informed the meeting that the sailing Programme for 2019
commences Thursday 4 April
• DH requested that there was an Open Meeting again possibly Waples Wines
and/or Lakeland Grand Prix, and that April was a good month to get the fleet
motivated to get on the water and the Lake is less busy. Easter is 21st April so
the date pencilled in was 13-14 April 2019. DH will speak to Keith Jamieson to
make sure that this can be slotted into the F15 fixture list.
• PG asked if the Tuesday races in race week should remain on the calendar.
After discussion it was decided to keep them and promote on Whats App.
• Easter weekend……racing on Sunday and Monday afternoons.
• Club buffets for race weeks will be moved to Monday nights to coincide with
Dennis Hope series and will become Club buffets as opposed to 17 foot buffets
• The marathon fun weekend will be moving to a different date as there are
difficulties with venues over the Bank Holiday.
• Next years F15 dinner and owners meeting will be pushed back a week due the
proximity of the World Championship dates in September suggested date 21
and 22nd September.
• The 24 Hour Race at Southport is 13-14 Sept.

6. Class Training
• DH said he hoped that we could get on the water late March to practice
starting, mark rounding etc and would also try to organise a boat speed
workshop, possibly Steve, Phil or Riggy.
• DH said that a rules evening or seminar would be welcome in particular to look
at starting, mark rounding, particularly Rule 18. AC is going to speak to the RYA
to try and get someone to come and speak.

7. Tractor
• This has had a new clutch and is working fine. DH said that the hand throttle
has been disconnected and makes pulling boats out more difficult as there is no
handbrake. NT agreed and AC will talk to Tony Houlihan about it.

8. Socials
• The fleet dinner had been held at the club the night before and had been well
attended and feedback was generally good.
• More winter socials, get togethers to be organised, including a rules evening.
• Prizegiving’s during the season did not happen. We will try to include these
next year.

9. AOB
• AC queried the Averages and whether Thursday evenings counted. Averages were
explained, and DH commented that an alternative trophy (Adelaide Salver) had been
sourced for a season low points trophy with discards.
• Counting races for boat parking were also queried. DH stated that all racing including
Mondays and Thursdays had been taken into account.
• Thursday night handicap racing queried by AC. It was not generally known that the
Thursday series for GP’s counts as part of their averages and there had been some
disquiet that 15’s were getting in the way. AC asked if we could have our own class
start so we are not racing as a handicap Fleet, and this indeed may be possible if we
can get the numbers on the water.
• MT was pleased that there were some F15 sailors at the dinner from the past and
hoped that this could continue with future dinners.
• JT enquired if October races counted for the Averages. PG said no, October is a
separate standalone series.
• S McV thanked PG for his work as Hon Sailing Sec. Peter is stepping down to be
replaced by Ian Bertram.
• DH boundary hedges with Fallbarrow need trimming back again
• DH… enquired that as the boat park is considered full, what would be the approach
with prospective new fleet members. It was decided that we would just have to
squeeze up.
• DH raised the subject of dredging around the jetties. EA permitting costs are £968
for this type of work. DH will investigate it further.

The meeting closed at 1128