When to meet
Sunday morning 10am – 12noon every week during the sailing season. Please arrive early to prepare for the 10am start to achieve maximum benefit from the time available many of the volunteers participate in the club racing in the afternoon.(note 1)
Who can attend
Members of the Club can attend free of charge by volunteers. Participation can be extended to parents of junior squad members and non-members by means of a registration fee.
These sessions are for members wishing to improve their skills in their own boats or to make use of the club boats under supervision.
Who can help
Volunteers are from ALL fleets of the club!! You just have to be willing to pass on your sailing skills to others.
- if you would be interested in becoming an Adult Squad member
- if you would be interested in becoming an Adult Squad volunteer for Sailing or Safety
Please make it clear to which you are referring and email Nigel Hutchinson (Squad Leader) on [email protected]
To allow the volunteer offering advice to the sailors while on the water to work without distraction, RIB drivers with Power Boat Level 2 or above are required. This provides an opportunity for the RIB drivers to improve your skills if:
- you have recently gained your Powerboat Level 2 Certificate (consider this an entry level, experience is everything(note 2))
- you wish to increase your time on the water
- further practice while working towards higher qualification
Participation either sailing or safety boat does not lead to any recognised RYA ‘levels’ or ‘certificates’. If you wish to achieve the relevant RYA qualifications either sailing or power boat then please contact [email protected] for further details.
We are now able to expand and formalise this training scheme with the help of our registered charity the RWYC Sailing Academy(note 3) we now have purpose-built training boats in the form of two Laser Bahias and three RS Fevas this now allows us to provide high quality Adult Training.
Note 1: Club racing is open to all members, ask the squad volunteers for further information:
- if you don’t own your own boat crew and helm opportunities may be available
- the use of club boats are available throughout the season subject to conditions and availability
Note 2 the club have 3 RIB’s these DO NOT all handle the same.
Note 3:The Club’s membership renewal packs include more information about the RWYC Sailing Academy charity and gift aid donation forms. Please contact Graham Murray at [email protected] if you require any more information on the RWYC Sailing Academy’s activities.